Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Train stations, the Opera, Marketing, and the Louvre


No blog yesterday because it was a hang-around-the-house day. It was pouring most of the day and I just couldn’t work up the energy to go out and get wet. But today certainly made up for it. Started out fairly early this morning to go to Gare Lyon – one of 6 train stations located in Paris. As I entered the train station, my pulse started racing, my tummy had butterflies and I wanted to board a train for somewhere – anywhere – right then! Train stations always bring out the wanderlust in me more than airports or any other type of transportation. These feeling probably relate back to my first trip to Europe with a friend when I was 24 – we had Eurail passes and traveled all over Europe for 3 months. What a wonderful time that was.
But enough reminiscing – read a good internet article on how to navigate this rather intimidating train station and decided to go “practice” today for tomorrow’s trip out to Melun. Turns out this article was so good, that I had no problems at all, despite the fact that TGV trains, metros, RER trains, and SNCF trains all travel in and out of this station. So I purchased tickets for tomorrow (or next year for that matter – these tickets have no time or date on them, so good anytime – what a concept!).


Next on my list was a visit to the Opera Garnier in the 9th district of Paris, so I consulted my Metro-RER-Bus map and found that I could take 2 metros with 10 stops, or the RER A train with 2 stops – not much of a decision, but it did remind me of that old dictum that more knowledge leads to more freedom. The Opera Garnier is a 2,220 seat opera house designed by Charles Garnier and first opening in 1875. It was the only opera house in Paris until the more modern Opéra Bastille was opened in 1989. It's 8 euros for a non-guided tour but well worth it. As many times as I've been by this Opera house, I had never seen the inside.

GRAND STAIRWAY AT l'OPÉRA GARNIER

GRANDE HALLWAY AT l’OPÉRA


CEILING IN THE AUDITORIUM OF l’OPÉRA



After the Opera house, it was time for some marketing, Parisian style. Rue Cler is the "real" Parisian market place -- small shops, good values, small cafes, and various other goods. The street itself is cobblestones and it is blocked off at both ends so that people can shop freely without fear of autos and scooters.


PRETTY LITTLE FLOWER SHOP ON RUE CLER


FRAGRANT HERBAL SHOP ON RUE CLER

FRENCH ENFANTS SKIPPING SCHOOL & OFF TO THE PARK
Saw these darling school children on their way to the park this afternoon on my way home from rue Cler.
INSIDE OF GADGE SALON
I had to hurry home for a 3:00 pm hair appointment with Peter Gadge of the Gadge Coiffeur salon. Found out he was written up in Town and Country magazine a year ago by Mireille Guiliano of French Women Don’t Get Fat fame. Great hair color -- my only regret now is that I didn't also need a haircut -- I hear his haircuts are magnifique!

PYRAMID ENTRANCE TO THE LOUVRE

Almost missed the Louvre on this trip because I hadn't found time to fit it in until now. Then found out that's it's open from 6 pm to 10 pm on Wednesdays and Fridays with a reduced entrance fee, so I decided to attend, along with about 2000 other folks. It's easy to forget just what an incredible experience it is to enter this ancient institution, and what a privilege it is to be so close to these amazing works of art that you could reach out and touch them.

SCULPTURE HALL -- FRENCH SCULPUTRES 5th to 18th CENTURIES

APHRODITE OF MILOS, BETTER KNOWN AS THE VENUS DE MILO


WINGED VICTORY OF SAMOTHRACE


LA GIOCONDA -- MONA LISA
And last, but certainly not least, the Mona Lisa. This now resides behind glass, presumably because of all the flash photos being taken. One is allowed to take pictures of any and all art in this museum, but not flash photos. However, here, as everywhere, people don't always listen to reason.
Adieu....






















































































No comments:

Post a Comment