Friday, May 22, 2009

Le Promenade Planté



A perfect day in Paris! Warm weather, blue skies, and not a cloud in the sky. Even had the courage go out without my umbrella for the first time in weeks. The morning began at the ubiquitous internet cafe – yet another essential printing job – and then past the Pompidou Center from a different angle when I came across this delightful fountain. It’s the Igor Stravinsky fountain, created in 1982 by two Parisian artists, and containing 16 mechanical sculptures inspired after Igor Stravinsky's music.



Next it was on to the metro for a quick trip over to Place de la Bastille. Bastille metro is one of the few that has an egress above ground, and as I exited and looked out of the window, I saw this beautiful harbor scene with a young Frenchman lounging on his boat like a contented lizard on a rock. He's just visible here on about the third boat over.



My plan for the day was to take a picnic lunch to the Promenade Planté out near Place de la Bastille. During the violin concert the other evening I met Beth from Seattle. She'd stopped over in Paris for a few days on her way to Russia to visit her daughter and 10-year-old granddaughter – apparently a frequent trip for her. When I told her I was living here for a month, she exclaimed that I must visit the Promenade Planté which, per Beth, is the most delightful spot in Paris. It’s a two-mile-long garden walk on an old viaduct once used for train tracks. Most of the park is elevated at least one story off the ground.

Looking down the walkway, one can hardly believe this charming spot is in the middle of Paris near a very noisy and bustling intersection. As I strolled along the walkway, I looked for a bench for my leisurely picnic lunch.

Rose arbor along the way


Modern apartment houses nearby


Beautiful trees and flowers

Viaduc des Arts below
Would love to say I visited all the interesting little shops below, but since lunch was a little more "leisurely" than I intended, I ran out of time. But will definitely return to this enjoyable park again when I feel the need for rest and relaxation.
Bonne journée






No comments:

Post a Comment