Sunday, May 17, 2009

Montmartre and Basilique du Sacré-Coeur

Palais de Justice and Sainte-Chapelle

The day began with a reluctant exit out into the now predictable gray rainy weather. So up went the umbrella and then it was down into the metro. This particular excursion began at Sainte Chapelle on the Île de la Cité. The purpose of this outing was not to visit the chapel itself, but merely to locate the appropriate metro station and landmarks nearby so I could find it quickly when I attend an evening concert next week. Nonetheless, I did enjoy a crêpe de jambon and fromage from a corner crêperie while visiting. [Ham & cheese sounds so much better in French doesn’t it?]. Quite good, but no match for Nutella and banana.

Stairway at Abbesses Metro Station

Another Abbesses stairwell scene
Then it was on to Sacré-Coeur and Montmartre for one of the most stunning views in Paris. Metro line 12 takes one to Abbesses, one of the few deep stations of the Paris métro. It’s 36 metres (118 feet) below ground as it's located on the western side of the butte of Montmartre. Access to the platforms above is usually by elevators but can be accessed by decorated stairs as well. Not remembering that there were elevators at this location, I took the stairs – many many flights to the top but at least one has those decorated stairwells to pass the time on the way up.
Le funiculaire at Montmartre

Once at the top of the stairs, one exits out into le Place des Abbesses. From there it’s a short walk down rue Yvonne le Tac to the funiculaire up to the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur. The funiculaire is a tram-type device which takes passengers up the hill. The trip covers a vertical distance of 36 metres and a track distance of 108 metres, in about 90 seconds. The funiculaire provides an alternative to the multiple stairways of more than 300 steps that lead to the top of the butte. In the picture, the stairway is to the left of the funiculaire.
When my Navigo metro card was denied at the gate, I was forced to take these stairs instead (rather than pay another 4 euros that is). Now this was definitely good practice for Yosemite, or at least I kept telling myself that on the way up. And needless to say, I did not make it in 90 seconds!


A new marble statue?

Once at the top there is a beautiful view of Sacré-Coeur. As I stood there catching my breath, I watched people for a while and then took a couple of pictures. It was then I noticed that there seemed to be a new white statue on top of a column near the bottom of the stairway leading up to the basilica. Suddenly I realized that the statue was moving, which took several people by surprise but it was fun watching their reactions.


It moves!
As I entered the church, I reflected back on the first time I saw Sacré-Coeur when I was just 24. Although the years have passed, the feelings one has when entering this revered and cherished cathedral have not.

the streets of Montmartre

I next ventured a short distance into the village streets that comprise the famous bohemian area of Montmartre, but the streets were literally filled with people so I quickly left. Isn’t it fascinating that these same streets trod upon by the likes of Gaugin, Van Gough, Monet, and Picasso so many years ago, seem to offer nothing more than Coca-Cola, pizza and tourist trinkets today.

Had planned to visit the Eiffel tower today as well, but far too many people out there, so I came home to do some errands and settle in for tea and a raspberry tart. I think I’ll leave the sight-seeing to weekdays from now on.
soyez bien

No comments:

Post a Comment