Friday, May 8, 2009

Le Marche des Enfants Rouges and the neighborhood








Decided to stay around here today and explore the neighborhood since it’s now cold and windy again – making me think yesterday was a figment of my imagination. Besides I had errands to do – my prescription sunglass lens fell out and had to be replaced but an optician over on Rue Bretagne put it back together again in seconds with no charge. Then to an ATM to acquire some more euros – miracle of miracles my Debit Card worked without a hitch and out came the bright, crisp, shiny Euros! (“Bright and shiny” is quite appropriate since they have a silver foil strip along one edge.) Then it was off to the Copy Shop to enlarge my Metro map, but alas, the proprietor was not in again today. When I was there the other day, he was on his way out to lunch with an “I have to eat Madame!” as he left. By the time I get this teeny tiny map (with a font of about 2) enlarged, I’ll be on my way home again.

Next I stopped by Le Marche des Enfants Rouges to buy some flowers and fruit. Le Marche des Enfants Rouges, literally the “Market of the Red Children”, is the oldest food market in Paris, built in 1615 under the rule of King Louis XIII. The name comes from a nearby 17th Century orphanage where the children wore red uniforms. It’s a compact indoor market that sells all types of produce, flowers, olives, wine, meat and fish. But many of the stands also sell fresh prepared foods from various cuisines including Greek, Asian, French, Chinois, and Mid-Eastern fare. There are cute wooden tables located throughout the market so people can devour their purchases immediately if they so choose. I picked up some fresh strawberries for breakfast and some white sweet-peas which will go well with my white candles, further enhancing my little habitat.

Then it was on to lunch at the Cafe Chanlot on rue Bretagne. Of course when I saw “cheeseburger and pomme frites” on the menu, I had to have that – along with a diet Coke of course. It was delicious, I must say, but I hope I’m walking enough to cover all those calories! I presumed correctly that the wait-persons spoke English. Seems there were many children present with their parents enjoying the American fare as a treat.

I took the long way home and made a stop at my neighborhood church, Église Sainte-Elisabeth. It’s located at 195 Rue de Temple, and was built around 1648. It’s very similar to other French churches in the area – some pews but mostly crude wicker chairs as the main seating arrangement. One can walk about and see the various side vestibules with statues and paintings, light a candle for someone near and dear, or of course pray. There was no one about today except what appeared to be 2 American tourists – oh, make that 3 if you count me but since I’m living here for a month, I now consider myself part of the community rather than un touriste.
au revoir

No comments:

Post a Comment